Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, November 3, 2008

How do they do it?

It is a damp and foggy morning here in central Wisconsin. I am hoping to get in a nice long trail run later today if it clears up.
The last few weeks at work have been crazy. It actually started in September. The company I work for decided to change computer systems. They wanted people to be trained in these new systems and then these people would train the rest of the employees. I have worked here for 27+ years and thought this would be a nice change of scenery. It is a voluntary and temporary assignment but would give me a straight day shift and weekends off for a couple of months. The beginning of training was quite overwhelming. The trainers/experts showed us how the system worked from beginning to end. About 95% of this didn't pertain to my little job. The overview was nice. It showed us how everything flowed (in theory). After a couple weeks of being trained we took a trip to one of the mills that already uses the new systems. It was a great help. We-the other two trainers and myself-learned more in one day than we learned in two weeks. Then we went back to our mill and began training the other employees. Still weekends off but it was longer hours. Usually 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. It meant getting up in the dark and getting home in the dark. Finally the cut over day came-this past Saturday, November 1st. The other mills had shut down to do this system change. We kept running, kind of guinea pigs for future cut overs. It went fairly well and we had plenty of support from other mills that were running this system. I guess I should say "systems". We were actually using multiple new systems, three in our department. I was at work 12+hours both days this past weekend. Long hours running around trying to find answers or people who knew the answers.
So, anyway, what I am trying to figure out is how do people get in their workouts/training with such crazy work schedules. I thought I used to do well by getting in my training while working rotating shifts. Now I am trying to do it working longer hours, back to shift work and probably no day off for three weeks or ??? I know I can run in the dark. I have lights. reflective material, and other safety items. I could bike with the same cautions and safety items. I have a treadmill and a fluid trainer and will be using these. But the time factor is overwhelming. Saturday morning I was up at 4:30 a.m. and got home around 8:30 p.m. It was not hard work but I was beat and just didn't want to do anything but relax for a little and go to bed to do it all over again. How does anyone train with crazy schedules? Any help here would be appreciated. Yes, I know people get up before work to train. This would probably mean 3:00 a.m. for me. After work would probably be 8:00 p.m. or later. I could do my partial bike commute but that would again add 2+ hours to an already long day. I am back to regular rotating shifts but like I said previously no day off in the foreseeable future. I am going to try my best to balance everything out. Work, training, family.... I already feel a cold coming on so we'll add that to the mix.
Well, it's 11 pm to 7am this week. I need to do some chores and get in my run, or maybe a bike ride. Then a nap before work and then start the craziness again. Again, any help, hints, ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Gotta run.........Sven

No comments: