Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Time off-finally

Good morning, and a brisk one it is today. 16 degrees and sunny this Saturday, the 22nd of November. This is my first day off from work in 21 days. It hasn't been hard work. I am still helping with training at our mill but it is back to shift work and it has generally been busy. Now, until December 1, our mill is shut down due to the economic downturn.
So, what am I going to do with this 9 day vacation. I am hoping to catch up on my chores around the house. Things that I have put off for the last few months while I was busy at work.
As far as my training goes, I hope to get that back on track. Since my marathon in October I seem to have gotten a little slack and undisciplined with my training. The lack of time off hasn't helped but that is not a good excuse. I would like to get in some nice, easy, long runs in before too much snow flies. I have the treadmill set up in the basement so I can't use the short days as an excuse. I would like to get in a short bike ride or two before it gets too cold. I have the road bike in the basement and will set that up on the fluid trainer this weekend. I also would love to get in some early season x-c skiing. The trails in the UP of Michigan have been receiving snow and they are grooming them. It would be a long drive but it would be fun and a definite change of pace. I have a goal of skiing a 3 hour Birkie this year and I know I need lots of time on the snow so this would be a great start.
My week, beginning on Monday, November 17th, has actually been pretty good. I did my first intervals since I can't remember when. Nothing wild or impressive. I set the treadmill up and did 6x400 in 1:40. I actually like the treadmill in the winter for the consistent pace. I can set it for my goal and I have to keep up or get shot off the back! I also like it for tempo runs for the same reason. The treadmill doesn't lie.
I also got my HRM up and running again. I have had nothing but trouble with my HRM. I won't mention the brand but I have had two of this particular one and both have been lemons. I finally got it working again without it going through batteries every day-really. Using the HRM gives me extra feedback and tells me how hard or easy I am working out. I know I have the problem of not going hard enough on hard days and too hard on easy days. When I use this and actually watch it I can see how to adjust my pace.
On Tuesday, the 18th, I had a great run on the Ice Age Trail. I took my clothes to work and changed after work and parked at the trail head on the way home. It was a cold, cloudy and windy day. Even in the woods the wind didn't seem to let up. I had a light with me but was out of the woods just as the sun was setting. I have never done a night run on the trail but I'm not sure that the conditions were ideal for that on this day. The leaves covering the trail make it a challenging run during the day so I figured I shouldn't push it.
The rest of the week has been pretty easy. I have done a couple short recovery runs. I watched my heart rate and tried my best to keep it low.
I hope to get in a run with Tammy later today and maybe an easy day on the bike on Sunday. Maybe even a short ride outside on the mountain bike. It just seems to early to be doing everything inside. I know, a little fresh-and COLD-air won't kill me.
Well, I better go get a start on some of my chores before the boss gets home. I have put of too much for too long and these 9 days will disappear quick.
Thanks for checking this out.
Gotta run............Sven

No comments: