Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Friday, November 28, 2008

A good week

Good morning! It is a sunny Friday here in central Wisconsin. Since my better half is out braving the Black Friday shopping hordes I thought this would be a good time to update my blog.
I have been off work since Saturday, November 22nd. The mill I work at has taken some down time due to the soft market. Rather than work a short week, I took a week of vacation. I accomplished some things around the house that I had been putting off due to my crazy schedule. I got storm windows put up. Yes, storm windows. We live in an old house and some of the windows still have screens to put on in the summer and storm windows to put on in the fall. I put up window film inside on some of the windows, did some cleaning, shoveled our first measurable snow and caught up on all the other items needing attention.
I spent Thanksgiving at my Mother's with some of my family. Tammy had to work so we will have Thanksgiving here on Saturday with some of our kids. A couple of my daughters stopped by on Wednesday evening, so all in all I have seen most of the family in the last few days. That always makes for a good week!
My training has been so-so. I spent part of one afternoon just laying on the couch and feeling like crap. Of course I felt well enough in the morning to run 11+ miles. I have managed a few more runs and even got on the bike on the fluid trainer on Monday. The weather has been sunny and in the low 30's so it is still nice running outside. I have to watch out for the ice in spots-I have a knack for taking a couple tumbles a year-but the roads and paths are generally in good shape.
I had toyed with the idea of doing a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning but I just haven't felt "race ready" lately-whatever that means? My runs have been at a pretty easy pace but my average heart rate seems a little high. I am sure part of it is the colder weather. Maybe feeling a little under the weather is another part. I don't seem to have much zip in the old legs the last few weeks. I still might do a 5K on Sunday-we'll see. Depends on the weather, how I feel and if I can drag my lazy butt out of bed.
It sure has been nice to get some good, restful sleep this week. I seem to be the type of person who needs 8+ hours of sleep a night/day and shift work doesn't work well. Depending on what shift I work I am lucky to get 5 good hours of sleep some days.
I have been thinking and planning my goals and resolutions for next year. I am still pondering them and trying to make them something to strive for while still being realistic and achievable. More on this later.
Well, the sun is shining and it looks pretty nice out. Almost 30 degrees and light winds. I better get out and get my run in so I can enjoy the rest of the day and get some things done around this old house.
Later........gotta run.

No comments: