Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What does a runner look like?

I was out running one day last week and passed another runner on the trails. It was an older guy, a little husky, running in shorts and a sweatshirt and carrying what looked like a portable CD player. He smiled, we exchanged hellos and kept on going. He was smiling and looked like he was just having a great run. As I kept on running I thought to myself that I would never have pegged him as a runner if I had met him on the street. The longer I ran the more I thought. Just what does a runner look like? I have run, biked, skied, etc long enough to know that there is no "typical" weekend warrior. I don't think that I look like the average recreational athlete either. I have been soundly thrashed at races by people I would never have thought of as runners. I am not trying to be prejudiced, just thinking and observing. It got me thinking about peoples excuses for not exercising too. Not enough time, I can't run, etc.... I was kind of feeling this way the last couple of weeks. I have been doing some training classes at work and working from 7:00 a.m to about 6:00 p.m. This means getting up about 5:00 a.m. and getting home about 7:00 p.m. It's dark when I get up and dark when I get home. But there is a way around everything. I just grab a flashlight and get in a quick run on a less trafficed route. Maybe not my first choice or as long as I would like but it gets me out the door and I feel better when I'm done.
I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no good reason to not lace up those shoes or jump on the bike. Adapt, compromise and be flexible. Don't let people tell you that you can't or shouldn't do it. Have fun and enjoy your chosen form of recreation.

No comments: