Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Whistlestop Marathon


I survived! This past Saturday, October 11th, I ran my first marathon, the Whistlestop. I have done over a hundred races, of all types, since I started racing in 1986. I don't think I have been this nervous at the start in a long time. I'm not sure why? I was almost positive I would finish, unless something catastrophic occurred. My training wasn't that impressive and I only did one long (20 miles) run. Still, I knew I had a pretty good mileage base. Time wasn't an issue. I really didn't have a time goal. My sister is pushing me to get a BQ and run Boston with her someday but I was sure I would not get that in my first marathon. Yet I still felt those butterflies at the starting line. Then again, I have always said that when I lose that feeling before a race, that is when I will stop racing!

The Whistlestop is a point to point race run between Iron River and Ashland, Wisconsin. It is run on a converted rail trail, hence the name. The race is fairly flat and loses elevation from the start to finish. The great majority is run through the woods until you get in to Ashland and near the finish. The fall colors are usually spectacular. All in all, this is an excellent, well run race. Great support, volunteers, spectators-you name it, it is top notch.

My race started out great. If I wanted that BQ I would need a 3:30:00. I missed the first mile marker so I wasn't sure how my pace was. LESSON-watch for the mile markers to keep track of your splits! I felt comfortable but was worried I was going too hard. I tried to watch my time at subsequent markers to gauge my pace. I was hitting all the water stops and taking in my gel. About mile 6 I fell in behind a couple who seemed to be running at a nice pace. Maybe just a touch fast but I still felt good. And my times seemed to be staying ahead of pace, sometimes over a minute and a half ahead! That should have been my first clue. Plus I learned a valuable lesson-RUN YOUR OWN RACE. I still felt good at the half way mark, which I hit in 1:44:12. Still, too fast! I kept hitting the water stops and took another gel. I started to rein in my pace but deep inside I knew it was too late. I felt good up until about mile 18. At that point I started getting a little tight and tired. I wouldn't say I hit the wall because I still kept a fair pace. I just slowly ran out of steam. I started to walk at the water stops which helped a little. The legs were still feeling sore and heavy. I think, looking back, that I may have underestimated my hydration also. I hit every water stop and took a bottle of energy drink with me but still didn't need to pee until hours after the race! Another lesson learned-HYDRATE BETTER. I picked it up just a little for a strong finish but was glad it was done. I finished my race in 3:43:07.7. Not too bad for a first marathon. I know I should have trained harder, or at least smarter. Taking in everything I learned, and now knowing what to expect, I feel I can run a better and more efficient race next time. Hopefully, my schedule permitting, that will be the Green Bay Marathon in May, 2009.

All in all, it was a great weekend. We stayed with my Dad and Step-Mom, who spoiled us rotten with hospitality. We visited, swapped stories and ate great food. It just doesn't get much better. Now it is time to wind down a little and get ready for my next goal-a three hour Birkie.

More on those plans later...........gotta run

No comments: