Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I'm Back!


Whew!!! It has been so long since I have updated and posted a blog I was not sure I could remember how to log in. It has been a crazy year for me.

My wife and I put our home on the market last fall. We didn't have much interest until this spring. Suddenly we started having showings and we had not really found a new house to our liking. Then early summer rolls around and we got an offer. Now what? There just wasn't much we could find in our area. We knew we wanted to stay in the area, and preferably in town. If we found a house we liked it was on a lake and WAY out of our budget. Finally we found our house. My wife fell in love with this particular house when we first moved to the area, but we could not afford it then. Then it came up for sale about the time we were giving up hope. I knew my wife would put in an offer even before we looked at it. It is only 4 blocks from our old home but it still took the best part of a week and lots of extra help to move everything. I don't know how people move cross country. We have spent most of the summer getting things in place and making the house our home. It is another old (100+ years) house, but in great shape with most everything important updated. Still, there is painting, new fixtures,......things to make the other half happy. And of course, in an old house, nothing ever goes quite as planned.

On top of all this I wanted to do some serious racing and training this year. That just has not really happened the way I planned. Between the house, and plenty of overtime at work, I just could get what I wanted accomplished. Throw in a daughters wedding, helping my Mom, who broke her leg and anything else that popped up and the year is just slipping away. I have spent the last month in classes to help train people when our company switches computer programs. That gives me weekends off but all the work around the house seems to pile up during the week and I am right back where I started.

Anyway, it's vacation this week. I am in my taper for the Whistlestop Marathon on Saturday. This is up in Ashland, WI. My wife and I will stay at my Dad and Step-moms so the weekend will be lots of fun. This is my first full marathon and I will admit I am just a little apprehensive. My sister is trying to get me to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I don't think that will happen this weekend. All I want to do is have a good time and finish. Then I can figure out what I need to do over the winter to get that BQ time. I need to run a 3:30:00 which is a pretty good time for an old fart like me. I ran a half marathon the end of September and did real well so I do feel ready.

Then when I get back I can start thinking about pre-season training for cross country skiing. If we get enough snow I have a pretty ambitious goal for the Birkie this year. More about that later.

Well, I better get going and get something accomplished before the "Boss" gets home. I promise to update this with a short ? post once a week, at least.
The picture is just to prove I have done something this year. It is from the RMC 5K, held here in Waupaca. I placed third in my age group-40-49.

Gotta run..........Sven

No comments: