Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Crazy Wisconsin weather

They, who ever they may be, say that if you don't like the weather in Wisconsin, wait 15 minutes and it will change. It may have taken longer than 15 minutes but we certainly have had unique weather conditions. On Monday the 28th it was in the low 40's. Maybe a bit damp and cloudy. I did a quick run of about 3.75 miles. I probably could have run in shorts and should have just to say I ran in shorts in January. Tuesday morning it was still in the mid 30's. Although it was a bit breezy it was still a nice day. I got in a nice long run for a winter day-just over 10 miles at a nice and comfortable pace. I left for work a bit early to run some errands in Stevens Point before my 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. shift. About 10 miles from home it was snowing and blowing so hard I could barely see the highway. When I left work at 11 p.m. it was around -10 F with a windchill around -40 F. When I got up this morning- Wednesday- it was -18 F with a windchill hovering around -45 F. Winds were gusting around 40 mph. I like to think of myself as a hearty soul but it was too cold for me to run outside. I relegated myself to the basement and a ride to nowhere on the bike on the fluidtrainer. By the end of the week it is forecast to be near 30 again.
The weather, along with my schedule, has been wreaking havoc on my training. I should be trying to get in some cross country skiing but it just isn't falling into place. I have been getting in a good variety of workouts-running, bike, and some skiing. I just wish I had more time on the skis. I haven't registered yet, but I would really like to do the Birkie at the end of February. This is a 51K cross country ski event in northern Wisconsin. The course profile looks like the business end of a hand saw. I'm not sure there is a flat spot on the course. Okay, I know, just a bit of exageration, but it is HILLY!!! I think I have the endurance but I know I don't have the ski specific strength I need. If I do the Birkie I would like to be able to do it comfortably and not suffer too much. So, I need to find some more time to strap on the skinny skis and hit the trails. Fortunately the area I ski at kind of mimics the Birkie course. It doesn't have the long, steady hills but it is a hilly course without much time to recover and rest. I think if I get in a couple of long (50K) days I should be ready. Then all I need to do is make sure I can get time off from work.
Well, it's been a long day and my beer glass is almost empty so I'll sign off and head to bed. More later......

No comments: