Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Friday, April 29, 2011

On your mark.....

Can you feel it? I can. I can feel it in my stomach. The little butterflies that start this time of year. I can feel it in my twitching nerves and muscles. No, I don't have a spring cold. It is the start of race season! At Last!!
My first race of what I consider race season is this Sunday, May 1st. I've had a couple pre-season warm up events. Not to say I didn't take them seriously. I actually worked harder at Point Bock than I have in years. But, when WORS season kicks off, that's when I get serious. Or at least serious for me.
I had grand plans at the start of the year. I was going to follow a plan, train hard, lose a few pounds, eat better. Well, I have done a little of all of the above. Not quite as well as I would have liked. But, I tried. And I'm still trying.
I've been fighting a bit of a sinus infection, which slowed me down a little the last two weeks. Add to that a long run that I pushed a bit too hard on and should have cut short. That had me battling some back and hip issues. But, I'm feeling pretty darn good now. How good? Well, that is what I'm going to find out on Sunday.
I'm excited to be racing in a new age group. Last year I raced in the Sport Single Speed class, which didn't go by age. Just everyone lumped in one single speed class. It was fun, but tough racing against guys 10-15 years younger than me. But, the old guy gave them a pretty good fight.
I'm not expecting too much for the first race. I want to see what kind of competition there is going to be in the 50-54 age group. Where do I need work? Can I get used to riding a geared bike again? Lots of questions. I'm sure I'll get answers, and hopefully they won't all be bad answers!
I'll let you know how it goes after the race.
Thanks for checking this out.

No comments: