Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, May 2, 2011

WORS #1-Iola Bump & Jump


Well, if nothing else, the first mountain bike race of the season showed me where I need to focus my attention. Having not spent much time on the bike I wasn't looking to do anything spectacular. I wanted a solid finish and a chance to get used to my bike. I think I got what I expected.
Race day was cold and blustery. Or, normal for central Wisconsin this year. Low 40's and gusty winds around 30 mph. Being in the woods knocked the wind down a bit but it was still a little noticeable. Cold enough that my hands and ears stayed cold the entire race. My solace was that everyone else had to endure the same conditions, so I couldn't whine to much.
I watched my wife, Tammy, start her Citizens race and then ran around trying to get some pictures. I watched her complete her first lap and then headed to the car to get ready for my race. By the time I got dressed-(oh yeah, in brand new shorts bought that morning, since I forgot mine!) got the bike out and hit the porta-potties I didn't have much time for a warm up. I headed up the road a bit and then headed back to stage for the race.
I managed to weasel my way towards the front for the start. Just enough time for a few butterflies, which I always have and we were off. I had a fair start. Starts aren't exactly my strong point. This race has a short straight and flat section and then a right turn and s short but fairly steep climb. I held my own up the climb and then got caught behind a couple guys who decided to tangle tires. After that first climb the race shoots downhill and through a bowl by the lodge at Iola Winter Sports Club. Through the bowl and then the only real climbing in the lap. Three climbs with some roots thrown in to make things interesting. Once at the top it's back down the edge of the bowl and into some ski trail and zoomy and twisting single track. The back two thirds of the course really don't have much climbing as it is all ski trail and single track. This is where I tried to make up some ground, or at least not get caught by too many riders.
The first lap wasn't too bad. Still lots or riders to help push/pull me along. By the middle of the second lap I felt like I was in no mans land. I managed to hook up with one rider who could just fly through the single track. I tried to stay on his wheel and then tried to help pull him up the small climbs on the back of the course. It was nice while it lasted but I lost him on one of the climbs leading in to some single track. Lap three I just tried to keep the hammer down and catch riders from previous waves and keep the guys behind me off my wheel. I could hear riders behind me and that helped me push just a bit harder. I finished strong and still felt pretty good.
What did I learn? I learned I need to figure out how to shift a bike again. This was my first race aboard my Specialized Epic. I've had it since last year but raced a singlespeed last year. I had a few moments where I shifted the wrong way and a few unplanned shifts when my hands accidentally hit the shifters. Other than that the bike worked great. Having full suspension helped with the beating my old body takes!
I also learned I need to work on my starts. I need to be willing to suffer a little and keep the hammer down. My climbing was okay and I don't think I held to many riders up in the single track. I need a bit more endurance but that will come. I'm used to racing myself into shape. It also might help if I wasn't trying to train for cycling and a half marathon at the same time. One more week and I can focus solely on the bike, with a run here and there for cross training.
I finished okay. 82/196 overall and 5/16 in the 50-54 age group. A little slower than last year but I am chalking that up to still fighting a cold/sinus infection and the cold. I don't do well in the cold. Bring on the heat and humidity.
Next up-taper week for the Door County Half Marathon on May 7th. I'm on vacation so the taper part might be hard. It will be tempting to try and get in some nice rides, but I'm going to do my best to take it easy.
Link to the WORS site-http://www.wors.org/
Thanks for reading. Any training hints, tips and general suggestions appreciated.
Later........

No comments: