Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, May 9, 2011

2011 Door County Half Marathon

The 2011 Door County Half Marathon is over! I've had a couple days to mull it over and reflect on what I did right and wrong.
First, let me give a big thanks everyone who helped make this event spectacular. From the folks who put it on, to the sponsors, volunteers, spectators and lots more that I'm forgetting to name. Without all of these people this race wouldn't happen. THANK YOU!!!
Tammy and I drove up to Door County on Friday. We left home under warm, sunny skies but slowly drove into rain and cooler temps. I don't mind running in rain, but wasn't really looking forward to the prospect of it. We hit the Ephraim Town Hall to pick up our race packets and then headed to our hotel to check in. We relaxed for a little and then drove in to Fish Creek for a filling supper of spaghetti and meatballs. Stuffed, we headed back to the hotel to relax and get ready for Saturday.
I tossed and turned a little more than usual that night. I'm not sure why. I was a little concerned about my quality of training, but I knew I'd at least finish. The alarm woke us at 6:00 a.m. and I ate some oatmeal and a Clif bar. I had a cup of coffee and some juice and got my clothes and drop bag ready. I stuck my head out the door and was pleasantly surprised to see sunshine and feel mild temps in the 50's. Perfect!! We packed up our car and waited for the shuttle bus to take us to Peninsula State Park and the start.
My goal going in to this race was a sub 1:45:00 race. 8:00/mile pace. My training really didn't point to this happening. I knew from previous races that my training paces never seem to indicate what I can do on race day. Not sure why, but I can never even come close to my race day speed in training.
Tammy and I got comfortable in the starting area. We wandered around a little and then did a short walk/run just before the start. Then we headed to the starting area and lined up. I stayed back from the front in the hopes I wouldn't get drawn in to the excitement of the start and go out too fast. That's my big downfall. I knew the course had a few sizeable hills and I wanted to have something left to get up them. I hoped to stay around 8:00 pace the first few miles and then pick it up once I got up the first hilly section.
The gun went off and I started out at what felt like a comfortable pace. I wasn't gasping for breath. I wasn't weaving through the crowd trying to pass people. I was feeling pretty good! I looked at my watch at the first mile split and saw 7:09. Holy crap!! Way too fast! I backed off a little and felt like I reined it in. Mile 2-7:16! What the hell?! I knew the first big climb would come around the 4 1/2 mile mark. I figured at this rate I'd be walking it. I slowed a little the next couple of miles but was still well under that 8 minute per mile pace. But, I was feeling good. Then I turned a corner and started the climb up Skyline Rd. I tried to keep my cadence light and quick up the hill. Okay, so it's not a mountain, but for Wisconsin, this was a nice and steady grind. A little over a half mile steady climb. Well, that certainly slowed me down and dropped my pace where I originally wanted it to be. I got to the top and felt strong. I popped a gel and took some water and pushed through the rolling middle part of the course. From about mile 5 through 9 the course rolled up and down. My splits were still staying under my goal and I was feeling good. I was walking through all the aid stations and taking water or energy. My legs felt good and other than a little side stitch nothing was bothering me. Around mile 9 I took another gel and got ready for the last 5K. I kept telling myself that I push it a little at that point if I was feeling good.
The last 3 miles had a lot of nice downhills in them. The climbing that had gotten us to the top rewarded us with a nice downhill around mile 10. I ran through the last few aid stations and pushed the pace. I wasn't watching the splits or my time. I just kept going at a nice hard pace. The music on my iPod seemed to be in sync with my running and helped push me along. Of course the last mile seemed like it would never end but I finally saw the last mile marker and the finish banner. I turned it up and gave it all I had. A nice finish kick ( I think) and I crossed in 1:41:22. 5/58 in my age group (50-54) and 106th overall.
I walked to get my drop bag, changed in to some dry and warm clothes and waited for Tammy to finish her race. She finished strong and smiling, arms raised and she entered the finishing chute. The best part of my day was watching her finish her first half marathon and seeing the big smile on her face!
So, what did I learn? I need to take this a little more seriously. I had somewhat of a training plan mapped out going in to this race. I printed out a couple training plans and kind of mashed them together to fit my schedule. But I tried to fit in some cycling and weight training as well. Trying to train for this and the beginning of the WORS season probably wasn't a good idea.I hit most (okay, some ) of the important workouts. I tried to hit the planned paces and distances as best I could. When I do this race next year, I'm going to train for this race! Plus I won't do a hard tempo run and a 46 mile bike ride in the days before the race. DUH!
I learned I need to work on the hills. I felt strong in the hills but know I can do better. I have enough hills near home that I can do this part easily.
Now that I know what the course is like, I think I can knock a couple minutes off, under the right conditions, of course.
I learned that race day brings out a different level in my performance. I kind of learned this after my first half marathon a few years back. My training runs never came close to the pace the plans called for. On race day though, I seemed to find another gear. Chalk it up to race day atmosphere and endorphins.
All in all, I am 99% happy with this race. My original goal was sub 1:45:00. I nailed that-on a hilly course. Of course, I always think I can do better. It's just the nature of the beast. If I apply myself, train specifically for one event and push a little and not be afraid to suffer a bit, I know I can get under a 1:40:00. I plan on being back for this next year!
Now it's time to get serious about biking. WORS season is in full swing and that is going to be my main focus. Plus I'm doing the 40 at the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival this year. That means I need to work on my endurance.
The Crystal Lake Classic in Rhinelander on May 22nd is up next. It's a course that suits me. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks for suffering through this long winded recap. I appreciate it! As always, feedback and comments are always appreciated.
Later.........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, D, way to obliterate your goal time! And with that crazy near 50 mile bike ride a couple days before. Very well done.

Half marathon is I think my favorite race. It will definitely test your metal. I'm glad you had fun with it, and that you could run it with your wife. Nice report!