Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fall 50 recap

Glad that one is done!! Check another one off of the bucket list. And yes, I'm STILL learning.
Although I planned on doing this one for a while, I really didn't commit until a week earlier, and I didn't register until the day before. Nothing like being really sure about my race plans, eh?
Tammy and I drove up to Sturgeon Bay the day before and stayed in a local hotel that night. Nothing fancy, but it beat a long drive from home at dark o'clock the day of the race. I tried to relax most of Friday, but the prospect of 50 miles kept me a little anxious and nervous. I had a less than ideal or smart supper. I actually slept fairly good. Maybe a little tossing and turning, but still a good nights rest.
I got up nice and early Saturday morning. A better breakfast than the previous evenings meal and a nice hot shower to wake and warm up. Tammy and I headed out around 5:30 a.m. for the drive up to the race start in Gills Rock. We drove through a few rain showers on the way up. Just enough to make me a little more nervous about the upcoming day! We got to the start area with enough time to get race numbers pinned on, check my waist pack for all the things I thought I might need and of course, one trip to the Porta-Pottie! Start line weather was mid 40's with a 20-30 mph NW wind, with some stronger gusts! Before I knew it, it was time to line up for the start with 157 other crazy solo runners! And then we were off!!
The first few miles went by quickly. Talking with other runners, enjoying the sunrise, watching the waves beating against the shore. Before I knew it, I was just about five miles in and hitting the first aid station. Tammy had my gear bag ready and I was back on the road quickly. My plan was just to break the day down as legs between the aid stations. My mind could handle that, I hoped.
Soon after aid station one, I fell in with another runner that was running the same pace as I. We chatted for a few minutes before he introduced himself. Surprisingly, it was a friend from a social training website that I had hoped to run with, at least for a part of the day! It was great to finally meet Lenny and share some stories. The conversation really made the miles fly by. Before I knew it, I was at aid station number two in Sister Bay. Over 11 miles down. Less than 40 to go!!
Leg three led us through Peninsula State Park. We wound around on the roads through the park, and enjoyed a break from the relentless wind. This was the longest leg of the day at just over 7 miles. Tammy was ready and waiting in the Nicolet Bay parking lot. She had me refueled and pushed me on my way. Just under 19 miles and still feeling good.
Leg four had us continue through the park and even gave us a little bit of trail running. Nothing serious, just a gravel path, but it was nice to get off the road and away from traffic for a while. We finally left the park and headed in to Fish Creek and aid station number four at Fish Creek Beach. I took a few extra minutes here and changed shoes. I had started in my Saucony Peregrines. I was just short of half way and switching up to my Hoka Stinsons was a nice change. It felt like I had big cushions on my feet! Amazing how something so simple can give you a little spark in your step.
Leg five led us out of Fish Creek on some scenic back roads. I was just glad I didn't have to climb the nasty hill on highway 42!! I'd been dreading that all morning. I had asked Lenny what our pace was earlier and he said we were running between 9:30 and 10:00 miles. I knew this was way to fast for me and started to slow my pace. I enjoyed the view of the bay on one side and the bluffs on the other. And I kept thinking of the "halfway buffet" at the next aid station. The thought of some warm soup and a sandwich kept drawing me forward. I reached Villagio's Italian Restaurant and took a short break. Some tasty soup, a PB&J and a quick change to a fresh and dry shirt. 28 miles in! Over halfway. I was actually beginning to believe I could do this!!
After this my goal was to get from aid station to aid station. I knew it would start getting tough around mile 30. My right hamstring/calf was starting to feel tight. Not bad, but I didn't want to push and end up with a cramp. At about the same time my left knee began to get sore. Never experienced this before! I'm not sure if I was compensating for the right leg, or it was just the miles adding up. Nothing serious, but I definitely knew it was there!
It was during the last few legs that I lost contact with Lenny. He was holding a great pace, feeling good and really pushing on down the road. I could see him for a while, but I knew I had to run my race and resisted the urge to push and catch him. In hindsight, it was a good choice.
Tammy was always ready and waiting when I came in to an aid station. Having that support and encouragement really made my race much easier. She kept telling me I could do this on the drive up Friday and all day during the race Saturday!! We do make a good team!
Even though it's a long race, I never really was alone. I could always see runners, or was running with competitors. The race also had a relay race, and when the team runners started catching me, that gave me an added boost. Almost every team runner gave me a shout, a thumbs up or a pat on the back. I can't count how many times I heard, "nice job solo runner". That little encouragement really meant a lot in the last miles.
Once I hit mile 40, I knew I would finish this run!! It was a good feeling to have the remaining miles down to single digits! I was slowing and talking a short walk break every mile, but the finish line was getting closer!
After leaving aid station number nine, I counted the miles down until it was just a remaining 5K! Damn, I can crawl in if I have to! I ran through the edge of Sturgeon Bay and headed to Sunset Park. I could hear the music and the finish line announcer. I picked my head up, smiled and ran through the finish chute and over the finish line!! 9:13:40. 65/132 finishers. 8/20 in SuperMasters (old).
 Lenny was waiting to give me a high five and Tammy was waiting just over the finish line!! I collected my "bling bling medal" on a chain. DONE! FINISHED!
We headed in to the finish tent for some beer and pizza. I was sore, tired, achy, hurt in new spots and just generally overall beat! But damn glad I did it!!
I said I'm still learning. So what did I learn? Well.........a hard (for me) full marathon two weeks before probably wasn't real smart. I feel I was recovered, but really never had a taper for this race. My nutrition was a little better. I ate more solid food than gels and bars. I drank when I was thirsty rather than on a time schedule. That seemed to work just fine. I learned that I should probably wear a watch and use that for splits. The phone app I use seems to be a little off, so I never know my real pace. It might have helped me to slow the pace earlier in the run. The big thing I learned is that I can run 50 miles. I have to admit that the distance really intimidated me. 50K? No problem! Now add another 19 miles. I had a hard time wrapping my tiny little brain around that. Will it make the next one (yes, there will probably be a next one) easier. I'm not sure. But it will be interesting.
Now, it's time for a rest and some down time. Really. Honest!! No, really!!!
Well, this was really long winded!! Thanks for reading. Comments are always welcome.
Svenofthenorth

2 comments:

Lara said...

Good job dad. You are CRAZY but thats a given, right? hope you are resting up (yeah right.) Or at the very least you are not pushing yourself too hard tonight.

Scott Cole said...

Congrats Dustin! I knew you could do it... :-)