Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Whistlestop Marathon

Well, glad that one is done. And yes, I'm still learning. Just when I think I'm getting a handle on this stuff, I get schooled. But, I enjoy the challenge. If I ever stop learning then I guess it's time to quit and find a new endeavor.
This was a last minute type of race. I had it in the back of my mind for a few weeks, but didn't actually commit to this until the middle of race week. I actually didn't register until the day before. Yeah, not too smart. Then again, I've never claimed to be smart!!
I felt more nervous leading up to this event than I've felt in a long time. I knew I had the endurance and miles in me to complete this, but I wanted to give it a solid and honest effort. After my last post here, I needed to know if I could suffer. At least a little bit. 
I had the luxury of staying with family for the weekend. It sure makes thing more relaxing. Catching up on things, talking smart and just enjoying the time. That always makes for a great race experience, no matter the outcome of the race. 
Race morning came bright and early-6:00 a.m. Temps in the mid 50's and some clouds greeted me as I peered out the window. A quick and not so smart breakfast-a sweet roll and milk-and a hot shower to loosen up the kinks and knock out the cobwebs, and I was ready to head out the door. A short drive to town and I was on a bus heading to the start. 
The marathon started at Tri-Lakes campground just east of Iron River. I wandered about and tried to stay loose and relaxed. No matter what I did, the pre-race butterflies kept fluttering. I made a last trip to the porta-pottie and headed to the start line. Here goes nothing!
My goal heading in to this was to run sub-four hours. I started slow and easy. I remembered my painful lesson from 2008 when I went out faster than planned, got sucked in with a quick group and paid for it the last eight miles. I didn't want that to happen again. 
I panicked a little when my phone announced my first splits in the sub-eight minutes range. Whoa. Way too fast. Then I realized that my phone and the marked splits weren't matching up. Whew! But that led to another worry. Now I really had no idea what my splits were. I figured they were close to what my phone was rattling off, but how close. At that point I just wanted consistent splits. That should keep me from exploding and doing the death shuffle the last few miles. 
I tried to stay relaxed and comfortable as the miles passed. The race is run on a gravel rail trail, so that helped ease the pounding on the legs. I made it a point to take something at each aid station-water, energy, gel-to stave off the sure to come bonk. 
The miles passed by easily until about mile 22. Then I knew I was slowing. I wouldn't call it a bonk exactly. More of a just slowly building fatigue and soreness. I was used to the miles after three previous 50K this summer, just not the pace. The last three to four miles hurt! Yep, I can suffer. I know that now. I was tempted to walk at a few points, but I didn't give in to temptation. I just put one foot in front of the other. Once I hit the paved portion of the path in Ashland, I knew I could hurt just a little more. That last mile in town had my quads yelling at me to stop. I pushed around the last corners and finished with the all I had left. 
I ended up with an official time of 3:46:52.8. Under goal time! I might have had a little more in me, but not much. I ran close to perfect splits - 1:52:20 first half and 1:55:08 second half. Considering I didn't do any marathon based training, I'm really pleased with my race. My legs were used to a ten minute mile pace, not eight and a half minute mile pace. 
The recovery is going well. Legs were really sore the first few days. A four plus hour car trip home on Sunday didn't help. Plus some heavy leg work at the gym on Tuesday. Remember, I never said I was smart!! I've done a few short and easy runs. Another day or two and I'll be back to normal-whatever that is!
So, what's next? Not sure. I've got a couple things in mind. I'll have to see how the weather shapes up, how the legs feel and how much I think I have left in the tank. No matter what, it'll be interesting!
Almost done!

No comments: