Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Invincible? Maybe not.

I've been thinking again. That usually means I have too many things rattling around in my head. Time to get them out and try to make sense of them. 
I have always thought of myself as pretty bulletproof. In my 29 years of semi-serious weekend warrior athletic endeavors, I have rarely been injured. Aside from the odd twinge here and there, I don't get hurt. No major bike mishaps. No muscle tears. No broken bones. No torn ACL, MCL or any other alphabetical combination. 
This may be pure luck, good genes, or my choice, wise training. But, this situation seems to be slowly changing. 
In the last year, I've had an unusual number of injuries and aches. 
After running more miles than I ever have last spring, my right foot started acting up. I even went to the doctor (gasp!) to have it checked. Never did come up with a firm diagnosis, and it seems to be 99% better.
I took a tumble in a local 5K when I tripped over a crack in the pavement. Bloody knees and hands. And then a left knee that ached for months. It even affected my spring 50K. 
A tweaked back late summer. Sore hip and hamstring after the Fall 50. I crossed skis just last week and went down. Landed awkwardly on one hand. Something tore/popped/sprained in my thumb. Still aches and can't grip anything. 
And I've been taking more rest days. Just because (gasp again) I'm tired! That never used to happen. 
Could it be that time and age are finally catching up with me? Triple gasp!!!
It looks I need to keep training smart. Quality vs. quantity. I do realize I'm not a kid anymore. On the other hand, I'm not going to let my advancing dotage slow me anymore than I can help. 
Keep following along and see what I can hobble through this year. I have some big ideas and plans. More on that later. 

No comments: