Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

29er Hardtail vs. 26er Full Suspension


Since I haven't been doing much riding lately, I've been thinking. And that's usually dangerous. I have been considering getting rid of my trusty Specialized Epic Expert 26er full suspension bike and moving to a 29er hard tail.
I raced a 29er hard tail last year, although it was a single speed. I really liked how it handled. Maybe it was just the simplicity of no gears. Just pedal as fast and hard as you can and try to maintain that momentum.
This year I raced the Epic. And the ride was amazing. Gears, and lots of suspension. My old body really appreciated that after some of the tougher races.
Halfway through the year I picked up a 29er hard tail. But to make a long story very short, my wife seems to have made it her own. So, I'm back to the Epic.
So why the thoughts of switching? I'm not really sure. The Epic is going on five years old, so a new bike would be nice. But, there isn't anything wrong with it. It's a great set up. Not the flashiest or lightest, but then again, I'm not the flashiest or the speediest!
Truth be told, I'm leaning heavily towards keeping the Epic and upgrading to a 2x9 setup. I rarely use that small chainring anyway. Maybe 2x10, but the 2x9 would be a little easier on the wallet and probably easier to convince the wife.
So, any opinions or thoughts? Let me know. Or maybe you're interested in a well maintained Epic?

No comments: