Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, March 23, 2009

Well, it's time for my weekly update. Amazing, I actually posted more than once every couple months! I had a fairly good week of workouts last week. They seemed good to me considering my work schedule this past week. Monday the 16th started a week of 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. I had Tuesday off, so it usually takes me until Thursday to acclimate myself to the "graveyard" shift. Wednesday and Thursday I worked 12 hour shifts, until 11 a.m. Sunday I tossed in another 12 hours and then a quick change to 3 p.m. to 11 p.m today. In between all this work I got in 4 days of running totalling almost 35 miles and one day on the bike-OUTSIDE! Nothing fancy and no structure or plan to the workouts. I am just kind of working on a late base/early endurance phase. It is still a bit cold to head to the track for speed work and too nice to spend time on the treadmill. The weather varied alot this past week. Just a normal Wisconsin spring. I ran in shorts and long sleeves one day and by the end of the week I drove to work in a whiteout.
The first outdoor bike ride of the season felt great! Nothing fancy and not very far. I just wanted to feel the wind on my face and start building up those butt calluses. It was just a short ride out of town on some country roads and then back home. The roads are still sloppy and snow covered in spots and full of all of the usual winter debris. The rain that is forecast this week should really improve the conditions.
My runs were generally slow and easy. I ran one after one of my 12 hour shifts. Not exactly one of my brightest workouts but in a wierd way it felt good to get out and de-stress. The roads and paths I frequent are still sloppy and some have long patches of snow hiding away in the shady spots. It makes for some interesting footing, even in the spring. One of my neighbors who has run for years fell and broke his arm running in these tricky conditions.
This week shapes up to be interesting. I am laid off until next Wednesday, April 1. Things are slow at the paper mill where I work. Of course the weather forecast calls for wind, rain and cooler temperatures. In other words, normal Wisconsin spring weather. I don't mind any of these conditions but when you combine them and get a 34 degree day with an inch of rain and 25 mph wind gusts it makes for some uncomfortable running. Still, I will probably venture out a few days. Like I mentioned above, I find it hard to get on the treadmill or bike trainer in March. It just seems wrong.
Well, since I seem to have an abundance of time for the next week I will try and update a couple times this week. It all depends on the "honeydo" list.
Later. Gotta run...

No comments: