Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Cautiously Optimistic

It's been a bit, so that must mean it's time for an update. 
Are you tired of these yet? I know I am, but not for the reason you might think. Today, August 5, is my three month Cancerversary. A day I would rather not "celebrate". I wish I didn't have this reason to be writing a blog. I'd rather it was just another weekend athlete blathering on about training, why he's getting slower or faster, this new training plan or the latest equipment. Not that I don't toss that in these posts. I realize I don't have to include my medical updates and history either. I'm just hoping somebody, someday, will read this and it may make then head to the doctor a day early. Hopefully catch something early. Or before it becomes a bigger issue. Maybe some person will read this and realize that the Big C isn't the end of the world. Yep, it certainly isn't ideal. My personal circumstance pales in comparison to what many are dealing with. And that good news does come along. 
I had a blood draw about a week ago to check my PSA. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/tests.html#:~:text=Prostate%2Dspecific%20antigen%20(PSA),milliliter%20(ng%2FmL). Every man of a certain age should have this done. Check with your friendly doctor. I had the test on Monday and didn't get my result until Friday. If you read my last post you know what I was going through. Some really ugly thoughts. Trust me, don't start being a Google M.D. My doctor warned me of that long ago. Blood test Monday. At work Tuesday I get a call to schedule a CT scan for my lungs. They found "multiple small pulmonary nodules....nonspecific and MAY be incidental" during my initial tests. I assumed I'd be scheduled in September when I have my physical. I certainly wasn't expecting this call a day after my blood test. And of course my mind went in to overdrive. I scheduled the test for the next day. No sense waiting. 
I got the results from the CT scan the next day. No change. Another CT scan in a year. I take that as good news. At least they're not spreading or growing. And I was still waiting on the blood test results. Damn, how long can this take? Bad news? Are they planning a new treatment plan? WTF! Finally, on Friday I got the result back. 0.02. That's good! Depending on the info, below 0.1 shows no sign of prostate cancer. At least that indicates that there is no sign of prostate cancer. Realistically there is always the chance of returning years from now. But as of now there is no sign. 
So why the title of this post? There is still a chance the cancer may have spread. That's what the follow up visit August 10 will address. And I'll deal with that then. Until then, it's good news. And I'm continuing to try and be optimistic.
On another note, training, if you can call it that these days, is going well. My half marathon plan is going good. Some days too good. My last goal pace workout was around 30 seconds below goal pace and it felt comfortable. Comfortably hard. Maybe I didn't set a tough enough goal time? I've been trying to get in a ride now and then too. I even signed up for a mountain bike race on August 15. https://wors.org/alternate-2020-events My goal is to pin on a bib and have fun. No performance or competitive goals. Really! Honest! I finally got back on the mountain bike on August 1 after three months so I think I'm being realistic with a lack of goals. Of course I want to do well but in the big picture it really isn't important. I just want to have a good time and enjoy the trails. 
That's all I have for now. Trust me, there will be an update after my follow appointment. Good or bad. 
I also want to put in another plug for my fund raising page. Every little bit helps and it goes to a great foundation. If you're so inclined, check it out. Thanks. Sven Strong!  https://fxckcancer.crowdchange.co/11645/page/210593
Finally, I put this here a bit tongue in cheek, but seriously, if you're having any medical issues, Please See A Doctor. I can't stress that enough! 
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
As always, thanks for reading. Questions and comments are always welcome. Ride and run safe everyone!  





No comments: