Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, March 27, 2017

Back on my feet and learning to be patient

Howdy! Welcome back. Just a short update on my surgery, recovery and where things are headed. Or at least what my plan is for 2017.
I would like to say that I am back to 100% or as close as I can be after my hernia surgery. I have behaved. I have listened to family, friends and medical professionals. I am the first to admit I'm not a very good patient, or very patient. Just my nature. But I honestly was as close to a model patient as I could be.
Once I was cleared to get back to my normal routine, I did. But slowly. Really. Slowly. I started ramping up the running miles. I did some short and easy running the end of February/beginning of March. I upped the miles the middle of March and last week (March 20-26) I managed just over 38 miles in 6 days. I felt good. Not great. And I expected that. I've been trying to get in some stretching after every outing to keep some flexibility in my back and hips. But honestly, most of the pain I had been feeling is gone. My back still aches, but that isn't going away. I can deal with that. The running has been almost entirely pain free. No bulging, protruding area in my groin!!! I think that was a big part of my problem. I guess running with part of your guts poking through isn't such a smart move. Who knew? The incision area where the mesh was put in is a little annoying. Other than a small hard spot at the site there is no pain. Yee-freaking-haw!! I haven't headed back to the gym and the weights yet, but I'll work that in slowly. Biking hasn't been a bother either. I did some hard efforts on the trainer over the last few weeks with no discomfort or bother.
I was cleared to return to work on March 6 with some weight limitations and was back to 100% one month after surgery on March 17.
So now what? I'm planning on putting of the hip surgery for the present time. The pain that I was having is mostly gone. Every now and then it rears it's ugly head but that's my fault. I need to be patient and learn when to say when. I'm slowly adding running miles. The speed/pace isn't there yet and maybe it won't come back to what it was. I guess I'm okay with that. I'm not a kid anymore and I never was fast. I prefer long slow miles. Hmmm.....maybe a 50K this summer? I'd like to do a few longer bike events also. Wausau 12 hour solo single speed is on the agenda. We'll see how the summer plays out. I'd like to do Race the Lake again. Maybe on the trusty old steel Trek, just for fun?
So, I guess nothing is really written in stone. I'm going to take it day by day. I'm being as patient as I can and realizing I didn't lose certain areas of fitness overnight and won't get it back tomorrow. I'll bite the bullet and register for something soon, just for some good old motivation and fear to keep me honest.
Okay, that's enough for now. Thanks for reading and following along. I'll be back soon. Hopefully with some concrete goals and plans.
SVENOFTHENORTH

No comments: