Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Training schedules and plans

Well, it's been a couple weeks and it's time for an entry.
I've been reading various books, websites and articles trying to plan a firm training plan for 2011. With my goofy shift work schedule this could be interesting. As always, flexibility is the key in any plan, especially for me.
This time I have actually put a plan on paper and am putting workouts on a calendar. It's still early and I'm essentially going through a transition period but it looks good so far! I am using information from Joel Friel's The Mountain Bikers Training Bible, Weight Training For Cyclist by Ken Doyle and Eric Schmitz and various other running and cycling books. I used the two cycling books as I've decided to focus on cycling, and specifically mountain biking, next year. I have some other goals planned but this will be my main focus.
I've always been a self coached athlete, and I use the term athlete very loosely! I have used online plans and schedules, some with very good success. I have a pile of books, magazines and favorite websites. I throw this all into a mix and apply it as best I can to what I think will work for me. Sometimes it works-I had a great first half marathon using this method. Sometimes it doesn't work well-last year at the Birkie! I guess I am just to cheap to hire a coach-online or other. Plus, with my crazy shift work schedule, I'm not sure they could do much better than I have. If anyone is reading this, do you think you can do better than I have? I'm open to suggestions or takers!!
So what is different this time? I am planning much earlier than I ever have. I have goals set and races picked that I want to peak for. I actually have a hard copy written down and starting next week-November 29th-I have a workouts planned on a calendar. Will it work? Who knows? But I am going to try my damnedest!! As I've stated before, I have big goals for 2011 and I want to do my best.
I will go over my lofty goals next time. I am in the process of scheduling my vacations for next year, which will somewhat impact my goals. I am looking forward to some comments about my goals. To lofty? Insane? Make up your mind-run, bike, ski?

No comments: