Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A good week

I am sitting at the computer, enjoying a hot cup of peppermint tea, listening to some classical music and decided I had better post my weekly update. So far, this week is going great. We'll see if that holds up.
Last week was a great week. I was on vacation all week. An actual scheduled vacation, not laid off. I accomplished a lot of my chores around the house, or at least put a dent in some of the items.
My workouts were okay. Nothing out of the ordinary or fantastic. I had planned on some longer runs but things just didn't fall into place. I still haven't put tires on my road bike. I know I need them, the casing is showing through the back tire. They just don't seem to be on the top of the list. Trying to save a few pennies while work is slow. It seems the money is more wisely spent elsewhere. Soon though. The sunny spring days are just too inviting and the roads are calling. Until then I put miles on the Trek mountain bike on the road. It works fine but just isn't the same thing. The speed and efficiency aren't there. It just feels better flowing along the rural back roads on skinny tires.
I had a great weight workout on Thursday. Snuck in a couple new/different exercises for a change of pace. I didn't think it would matter that much but I have been SORE ever since. Wow, I am either getting older or I need to fiddle with my routing a little. It is a good sore though. It reminds me that there is always room for improvement.
Saturday, May 2nd, I competed in our local 5K. The RMC 5K starts just a couple blocks from my house and runs a loop course through the neighborhoods around my house. It is flat, except for one little bump. I have had mixed results here the last few years, from a PR to so-so. This year was no exception. It was a great day for the race. Sunny, low 50's with a slight wind. I don't know if it was the weight workout a couple of days or earlier or what? I just didn't feel fast. The pace I ran felt good. Hard, but not puking my guts out. I don't feel I let up too much as the race progressed. Just one of those years I guess. My goal was 7:00/mile pace and I came close with a 21:58 or 7:05 pace. I was happy with that time. My running hasn't been that consistent or structured. NO speed work at all. It has given me a goal of peaking for this race next spring and just seeing how much quality I can get in over the winter and spring. The 5K isn't my favorite distance but I feel I can run faster. I just need to suffer a little.
Sunday, I had an awesome trail run. I went out to my favorite trail, the Ice Age Trail and did a nice and relaxed long run. I parked at one end of the trail and ran to the other parking lot just outside of Waupaca. Then I ran back to the car and added on a segment on the other side of the parking area where I started. I could have added another mile or two but it was getting late and my bottles were empty and the gels were gone. In just under three hours I got in a little over 16.5 miles. My legs were a little tired and beat but not too bad taking into account the race the previous day. Next time I would like to try and run the whole segment from end to end and back.
As I said in the beginning, this week is starting out well. We will just have to wait and see how it ends up.
Well, I've gotta run. I can see the sun shining outside and I want to get in a short run and a strength workout before the rain shows up and it's time to head off to work.

No comments: