Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Don't count me out yet!


 I see it's been a few weeks since my last post. I didn't get lazy or complacent. I was waiting until I had something worth writing about. Now just whether on not it's really worth posting about is definitely my personal opinion. I could probably post every day but it would get boring quick and most likely be of interest to just me. 
My last post ended with me waiting for radiation treatment to start. That began on Wednesday, October 14. That was my first of 38 treatments. 7 1/2 weeks. Monday through Friday. Approximately a 15 minute treatment. The first week and a half are various times. By October 26 I have my steady time. 10:00 a.m. In a way it's a bit like going in to work. It's about a 45 minute drive one way depending on traffic. On the plus side, my shift at ThedaCare Cancer Center is a little shorter than a normal work day. And I get Thanksgiving off! 
So far the treatments are going fine. None of the possible side effects have kicked in. Yet. At my simulation the nurse made it clear the fatigue would occur. It may take a bit to build up but she made it very clear that it would be real. That is the one side effect that might bother me. I don't usually have a lot of sit in me. I may not accomplish much some days but I usually stay busy, either at work or home. A little nap now and then is nice. Not sure how I feel about napping the day away. Before friends and family (you know who you are!) lecture me, I will be listening to my body. When it says "rest" I will obey. I've already taken more easy and down days than usual. I've said on more than one occasion that training is all about learning to adapt. And I'm doing that. Trust me.
The treatments are quick, painless and simple. At least on my end. I check in at what I'm calling my second home, ThedaCare Regional Cancer Center in Appleton. When I check in at the registration desk I am given a swipe card. I head right over to the radiation area and swipe myself in. There is a waiting room inside and I wait for the technician to call my name. Once they call me it's back to the radiation machine. I lie down and pull my sweats down enough so that they can see the tattoos. Oh yeah, did I mention I can spend most of my day in sweats! I suppose that's one plus! Then I lie there as the machine does it's work. No pain or discomfort. Maybe long enough for a cat nap if I am lucky. Then I'm done! I can finally empty my bladder, which is usually at code yellow. If I didn't mention that before I have to have a full bladder. That can make for an interesting drive to Appleton. Everyone is friendly, helpful, polite and positive, from the person taking temperatures at the door to the techs. This makes a stressful situation easier to handle. So far so good. It's still early but I'm am feeling great.
Speaking of making my days better, I had a surprise visit from our daughter Lara and the girls-Kaelyn, Aria and Everly. They came down with a little care package to brighten my day. It's simple things like this that make this just a bit easier with which to deal. 


As for feeling great, I felt good enough to do a little gravel race on Saturday, October 17. Red Granite Grinder was held in Wausau. The temperature was in the low to mid 30's. A little breeze. And SNOW! Yes, I said snow. The start was in a steady snow. Covering the bridges leading out of town to make things interesting. The trail sections were snow covered and tough. The gravel roads were wet and muddy. And it was a blast. To add to the challenging and memorable conditions and make the day better I rode with two good friends. Todd and Suzanne Meerdink pushed me up hills and pulled me down the gravel roads all morning. My riding partners made the whole day! To top off the day Suzanne was second woman overall and first in her age group. I managed a first in my age group too. I know I keep saying it but it wouldn't have happened without Todd and Suzanne. I probably would still be wandering the back roads after my Garmin refused to work! Of course Tammy was there as support crew to make sure the day went smoothly and that all boxes were checked and nothing was left at home ("do you have your boots?")

That's all I have for now. It was a good week, all things considered. Monday it all starts again. And I'll deal with it one day at a time. I'm sure I'll have a less than stellar day here and there. I just realize there are others who are dealing with much worse and not complaining. I don't have it too bad! As always, thanks for reading and following along. Questions and comments are always welcome. 

1 comment:

Lara said...

It was an absolute crazy day driving to see you..... The girls were so much fun and can't wait until covid is over so they can give hugs and cuddles. You are #SvenStrong always. Love you dad/Papa D