Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, April 28, 2014

It's taper time again

It's a day off, sorta. 11pm-7am today. In my weird little world, I count that as a day off. Time to prattle on.
It's taper time, again. My first 50K of the year is on May 10. Today is supposed to be a rest day. And already I'm itchy to go out and put in some miles. Just a few. Honest. I'll do my best to relax and lie low. My training has been going really well. At least that's my biased, uneducated opinion. Although I don't have the miles behind me that I did at this time last year, the miles do seem easier. Effort seems easier. Pace is a bit quicker. I also don't have the long miles like last spring either. But, I was planning a spring 50 miler versus a 50K. I'm confident I can finish this one, and hopefully finish strong. I'm even entertaining a PR in the back of my mind. But that is not my number one goal. I want to finish and feel good as I cross the line. Anything else is just a bonus. Too many variables come in to play. Weather, a few little niggles I'm having. nutrition and hydration.
 I am feeling strong. I believe the miles I put in last year along with one marathon, three 50K and one 50 mile are starting to pay off. Hmmm, must be that specificity of training I keep trying to push. Run, and you might get the hang of running. I haven't had any really horrid outings this year. Even bad days are just kind of so-so. Hopefully this will lead to a strong year and some good results. If my work schedule cooperates, I am planning on an ambitious race schedule this year. I have some scores to settle with Dances With Dirt-Devil's Lake and North Face ECS Wisconsin!
The little pause I took seems to have jump started my running. I had a strong trail race at Iola on April 12. I worked 11-7 the night before. So, not much sleep the day before. Maybe a few hours Friday morning. 39°F and rain during the run. On muddy trails with patches of snow still hanging on for dear life! I felt good, paced myself well and finished strong. I even put on a bit of a kick through the last single track through icy, ankle deep water.
All in all, I'm as ready as I can be for this 50K. A few days of "graveyard shift" and then vacation. Easy miles and relaxing as much as I can. I may sneak in a 5K and/or a WORS mtn. bike race the weekend before the 50K. We'll see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are ready. I do think that all of the miles you put in over the last year AND the few days OFF from running you had recently are both working in your favor! Taper well, hit that PR!!