Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, March 3, 2014

Birkie/Bock recap

Wow! Glad those two events are done! The 2014 American Birkebeiner and Point Bock Run were two of the coldest events I've ever participated in. Add in fresh snow the day before each event, and it adds up to my slowest times for each. 
Conditions for the Birkie on February 22 were challenging to say the least. Over a foot of snow fell from Thursday in to Friday. 20-30 mph winds blew the snow everywhere. The temperature at the start was just above zero, with a headwind all the way to Hayward. The trail was as good as could be expected. It was churned up by the start of my wave. Skiing in mashed potatoes for five hours was tough. After 50K of picking my skis up through that snow, I was beat. After seeing what the course looked like in the first couple Ks, I knew it would be a long day. My goal was to relax and just make it to the finish line. No PRs this year. My hat is off to all the groomers, who put in long hours under tough conditions. And congrats to all who finished a tough event made even tougher this year thanks to Mother Nature. 
A week later, March 2nd, and it was time for the Point Bock run. This year marked the twelfth running since the event was was brought back to life. It's become an annual can't miss event for me. I worked 11pm-7am the night before, so again, no PR was in the plan. Factor in a starting temperature around 5 and a brisk wind, plus little running and no speed work and it again adds up to my slowest time ever. But, I did meet my time goal and ran pretty even splits, so there were a few positives. 
So, two slow, sub-par outings. This has lit a little fire under my cold hind end. I know where my training needs work. And it will be work. But I love a challenge. I've got a little over a month until my first trail run-mid April at Iola. A 15K. Hopefully not in a blizzard like last year. Mother Nature has to relent eventually. Then a few more weeks to the first ultra of the year-Ice Age 50K. I've got my goals for these, so I better quit rambling and get running.
Happy miles!!

No comments: