Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, May 27, 2013

Lessons learned, experience gained

Time to reflect after finishing my second 50K. I've had a couple weeks to mull things over. 
What did I learn? Don't run a race the week before. Not even for fun, or to run with one of my kids. And never, ever say before afore mentioned race, "it's only an easy 5K. What could go wrong?
I ran this easy 5K with one of my sons, to help pace him. Plus the opportunity to run with one of the kids is pretty rare. I figured an 8:00 per mile pace would be easy.  A good chance to stretch the legs a week before my run. We started out nice and easy. Less than a mile in, I caught a toe and did my best Superman imitation. I was up as fast as I went down, but not before landing hard on my knees, elbows and hands.  A little blood. How bad can it be?  Things didn't hurt until Monday. My left knee ended up bothering me late in my 50K. Okay, lesson learned. 
I learned that if I want to keep dropping my time, I need to run more/faster and walk a little less. My run 15/walk 5 actually worked great.  It was hard watching people pass me early on, but I eventually caught and passed most of them. I think I just need to increase the running interval. I'll be working on that. Maybe 25/5?
I learned that my training plan worked well. Admittedly I was training for 50 miles, so I had a good endurance base. I felt stronger and less sore at the end of this run versus last year.  The hills beat me up, but not as bad. If my knee hadn't bothered me, I might have been a little quicker.
Overall, I'd have to call this 50K a success. I believe I made the right move dropping to the 50K. My foot felt okay, but was beginning to complain by the end.  My nutrition worked well, although I could have probably upped the energy consumption a bit. 
I am going to take my new found wisdom, keep training, and do another 50K. I'm not sure when or where.  I've got a couple in mind. I'm not sure if I'll be faster, but I will be wiser!

No comments: