Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Monday, September 12, 2011

A weekend off!

I had the opportunity to race this past weekend. Actually, I had a choice of two races that kind of, sort of, fit my schedule. This all kind of fell in my lap accidentally. My normal work schedule this week would have been 11pm-7am, Wednesday off. Due to some co-workers wanting trades my schedule looked like this - 11pm-7am Monday and Tuesday. Stayed over an hour Wednesday, which remained my day off. 3pm-11pm Thursday and Friday, 7am-3pm Saturday (this was a last minute trade to help someone out!) and back to 3pm-11pm Sunday. All three shifts in one week, which I haven't done since ???? (at least 10 years) and all three jobs in my department. I squeezed in one run and five bike commutes, one on my quick change. By the end of the week I was beat. But, I still tried to finagle a trade to have Sunday off. I kind of wanted to do the WORS race in Lake Geneva, but then again, I didn't. I'm still up towards the top of the standings in my age class and every race is a couple more points. But my heart really wasn't in it. It would have been a long drive, alone, since my wife had to work. I really wasn't disappointed when the trade didn't happen.
I also could have done the trail race just done the road from me in our local State Park. There was a 10K and a 25K. I did the 25K last year. I run the trails often  and know them well. I considered getting up and doing the 10K and then going to work. I knew I didn't have the running fitness for a 25K. I figured I could put in a passable effort in the 10K.
I chose to sleep in instead. After feeling guilty about it, I know I made the right choice. I was tired, my head and heart weren't 100% behind either race and I don't think my effort would have been either. I've got the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival 40 mile off road race this Saturday, the 17th and I'd like to have a good race up there.
So, who says you can't teach an old racer new tricks. I'm learning, after 25 years of racing that skipping a race and a rest day aren't bad, they're good!!!
More down the road........or trail.

No comments: