Me and Dzangel

Me and Dzangel
RMC 5K 2007

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Ho Ho Ho! Seasons Greetings. The holidays are almost over and I've survived another hectic few weeks while only losing a few more grey hairs. While I'm sitting here watching it snow and wishing I could get out skiing I thought it would be a good time for an update.
Three weeks ago, on December 5th, I ran the Stevens Point YMCA Frostbite road race. I have wanted to do this race for a long time but my work schedule always got in the way. Damn, need to find a more flexible job/employer/schedule. Anyway, this was my first race as a Brooks I.D. team member. I didn't have any lofty goals. I just wanted to finish with a sub 8:00/mile pace. I had worked the 3 p.m. - 11 p.m. shift the day before so I wasn't in bed as early as I would have liked. The race didn't start until noon and it was only a thirty minute drive to the start so that wasn't much of a factor. Temps at the start were maybe in the upper 20's with a slight breeze that would come into play on the way back on the out and back course. I lined up towards the back with an old high school friend and fellow Birkie skier. He was doing the 5 mile race and wasn't aiming for as fast a pace as I was so I figured this would keep me from going out too fast. I bided my time pretty well the first few miles and settled into a steady pace. I felt good until about mile 7 and slowed a little bit but the gel I took about halfway kicked in and I picked it up again and finished strong. I finished under my goal with a 7:52 pace and a time of 1:18:41. Not spectacular but not too bad for a cold race in December. I know it sounds kind of goofy but I felt proud out there in my new Brooks pants and shirt and Defyance 2. It even gave me a little added impetus at the end with a runner in front of me all dressed up in Nike apparel. I can't wait for the new year and some more opportunities to lace up my Brooks and get out the word about what a great company and program this is. It gives regular runners a chance to feel like an elite and I can't get that anywhere else! Pretty neat program.
So, it looks like I'm done racing for 2009. I couldn't find any Santa scampers or New Year's runs close enough to fit in. It looks like it might be late January or early February before I can quench my competitive thirst. I would like to do the Badger State Winter Games cross country ski marathon but just may do the winter trail run for a change of pace. I'll have to see how my skiing goes.
I have a couple more days to think about goals for 2010. I am still trying to figure out what races will fit into my schedule and just what sport I want to focus on for the coming year. Or do I want to be a multi-sport threat? Hmmm... something to think about. I'll let you know about the goals in a few days. Until then.....gotta run

No comments: